This is a sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes time of year for many of us. There are many products on the market from Benadryl and Claritin to allergy shots for relief of allergies. However, there are some powerful all natural answers to the allergy prayers as well. An allergic reaction happens when the body interprets a substance as a “foreign enemy” and goes into attack mode. If the immune system is not strong enough to disable the antigens in a substance (dust, mold, pollen) then the immune system has an overaggressive response which looks like runny nose, watery eyes, fatigue, etc.
To key to allergy relief is a strong, healthy immune system.
These are my favorite supplements that boost immune system function:
1. Vitamin C-3000 mg/day taken throughout the day. Excellent for reducing histamine levels in the blood. Also Vitamin C strengthens and detoxifies the immune system. (I love Nature’s Plus Vitamin C-they are chewable, taste great and kids love them too!)
2. Grape Seed Extract-100mg/1-3 X per day. This is a natural antihistamine. Also, its flavonoids inhibit allergic reactions that can cause eczema.
3. Quercetin-Builds mast cell membrane strength. These membranes are carriers of histamine. Quercetin keeps the membrane walls strong to prevent ruptures that leak histamine freely into the body, thereby causing allergic responses.
4. Bromelain-1000mg/day. Bromelain is an enzyme that comes from the juice and stem of the pineapple. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory that strengthens the immune system and clears mucous from the respiratory system. (Can also be used post surgery or anytime an anti-inflammatory agent is needed-has similar effects to ibuprofen).
5. MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)-1000mg/1-3X per day. MSM contains sulfur which is an important nutrient for healthy body functions. MSM keeps the immune system strong and supports the respiratory system. MSM also improves allergies, skin problems, asthma and headaches.
There are many homeopathic remedies on the market that also can be taken with or without supplements. My favorite brand is bioAllers. It’s a liquid homeopathic. They have specific remedies for Tree, Grass, Pollen, Hayfever or a combination Pollen/Hayfever. Homeopathic remedies are great for children that can’t swallow pills. I use this one for my son in addition to the supplements.
It is not necessary but could benefit greatly to begin taking the supplements and homeopathic remedies before the symptoms appear. This will build the immune system gradually and the body will be ready when the pollen hits. However, if pollen has begun in your area and allergies are upon you, no better time than now to build immune strength.
Lastly, we all can agree that stress plays a role in immune health. Relaxation techniques, meditation and any enjoyable activity will help with immune strength. Relax, take supplements and enjoy an allergy free season!