Thanksgiving is the official mark of Christmas being less than 4 weeks away which manifests holiday shopping, holiday stress, holiday craziness…or does it have to be that way? Absolutely NOT! We naturally default into the holiday insanity unless we choose not to. We forget we have the ability to make choices with our brains and not fall into the collective consciousness of “holiday stress.”
A technique that I use to create and maintain balance in my life is the Alternate Nostril Breath. It is as easy as it is powerful. This breath can be done anywhere and can be done for just 4 minutes and have profound results.
This breath balances the left (thinking) and right (feeling) hemisphere’s of the brain. After just a few minutes there is a release of neuro-transmitters which calm our system and create an anti anxiety anti-depressant effect to our nervous system. This also creates a more balanced person and improved brain function since both halves of the brain are functioning properly.
This is considered to be the best breathing technique to calm the mind and the nervous system.
- Cleans and clears impurities from the lungs
- Calms and controls negative self talk
- Improves quality of sleep
- Lowers blood pressure
- Boosts energy
- Right thumb closes off right nostril
- Inhale slowly through left nostril
- Pause for a moment
- Close left nostril with ring finger and release thumb off of right nostril
- Exhale through your right nostril
- Inhale through right nostril
- Use thumb to close of right nostril
- Breathe out through left nostril
This is considered to be one round. Begin with just 2-3 rounds and continue to work your way up to 10 rounds.